Skin yeast is common, especially on the part of the skin where the air circulation is poor. The most common fungal infections are yeast infections, athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm, nail fungus and thrush. The main symptoms are usually itchiness, irritation and flares-up.
Here are some home remedies for skin yeast:
Why do you get skin yeast?
You are more prone to get a fungal infection if:
- your immune system is low ; fungus are highly contagious.
are taking antibiotics, oral contraceptives, cortisone cream ; these
medications alter the acid balance of your skin and decrease your
body’s ability in fighting this kind of infections
- you are going through hormonal changes (especially during pregnancy)
Fungus Remedies: Healing Nutrition
- Eat plain and unsweetened yoghurt or kefir. Yoghurt contains probiotics needed to restore your flora with friendly bacteria
- Increase your intake of garlic, olive oil, and other antifungal foods
- Eat foods, especially vegetables, that stimulate your immune system: foods rich zinc, in vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin E
- Avoid all forms of sugar (fruits included), alcohol, and vinegar (except apple cider vinegar)
For more advices on what to eat or not eat, check out our section on the healthy skin diet
Fungus Remedies: Nutritional Supplements
- Probiotics replenish the flora with good bacteria
- Garlic and colloidal silver are antifungal. They could also be applied topically.
- Zinc, colostrum, vitamin A, C, E boost the immune system
Also see skin nutrients
Fungus Remedies: Home Remedies
The most common home remedies for skin yeast are anti-fungal herbs:
- Tea tree
- Berberine-containing herbs: goldenseal, oregon grape, yellowroot, barberry, bloodroot
- Pau d’arco
- Black walnut
- Aloe Vera
If fungus spreads underneath the nail, it is advisable to soak toes in a mixture of antifungal herbs for more efficiency.
Also see skin herbs
Fungus Remedies: Essential Oils
- Tea tree
Also see essential oils for skin
Fungus Remedies: Homeopathy
- Kali sulph is used for skin infections
- Silicea and Calc Sulph can also be used
Also see other natural therapies
Fungus Remedies: Other Advice
- Expose the affected area to the air as often as you can
- Maintain a very good hygiene since fungus are very contagious. They can spread to other people and other parts of your body.
- Andrew Gaeddert, healing Skin Disorders, North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, California, 2003
- Louise Tenney, M.H., Today’s Herbal health, 6th edition, USA, 2007
- Phyllis A. Balch, James F. Balch, Prescription for nutritional healing, United States of America, 2000
- Siegfried Gursche, Encyclopedia of natural healing, Canada, 1997
Bartram, Bartram’s encyclopedia of herbal medicine, The definitive
guide to the herbal treatment of diseases, Grace Publishers, UK, 1995