Looking for sunburn remedies because you had too much sun exposure? There are many natural remedies that are used to help heal sun damaged skin. Let's see what are the most common natural remedies to heal a sunburn.
Sunburn remedies: What causes sunburns?
- If you’ve got fair skin, you’ve got less melanin in your skin and you burn more easily. Melanin is activated by UV rays and protects your skin from sun damage.
- Too much activation of melatonin.
Sunburn remedies: Healing nutrition
- Essential fatty acids help restore skin elasticity and make your skin more resistant.
- Eat foods high in potassium, foods rich in proteins for tissue repair, and foods rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Drink plenty of liquids (containing electrolytes) to avoid dehydration and sunstroke.
Read this interesting interview about sunburn remedies with Registered Dietitian Megan Witt: Sun and skin damage: is nutrition important in sun protection?
Sunburn remedies: Supplements
- Vitamin E promotes sunburn healing.
- Vitamin C fights against infections (common after sunburns).
- Vitamin A and betacarotene renew damaged skin cells.
- L-Cysteine promotes healing of sunburns.
Sunburn remedies: Herbal remedies
- Aloe vera gel (as a preventive or after being burned) speeds healing, moisturizes and relieves dryness. Check this sunburn remedy with yogurt and aloe vera to soothe sunburned skin.
- Comfrey root, plantain, horsetail applied on the skin promote healing.
- Saint John’wort oil and calendula also promote healing and are good for infected burns.
- Cayenne stops sunburns. You can take it internally diluted in hot water.
Sunburn remedies: Essential oils
- Chamomile, Lavender, and Melaleuca can be good sunburn remedies.
- Tea tree helps prevent blistering from sunburn.
Cautious: Be careful if using essential oils for your skin. Some of them cause
the skin to be more sensitive to sunlight and one would therefore burn
and damage more easily. See the article Sun Safety Tips
Sunburn remedies: Homeopathic remedies
- Urtica urens is used as a sunburn remedy to relieve itching.
- Cantharis is used as a sunburn remedy for pain and blister.
Also discover other homeopathic remedies for skin
Sunburn remedies: Tissue salts
- Ferr phos and Calc culph can be used as sunburn remedies.
Sunburn remedies: Other skin remedies and tips
- Take a cool bath after sunbathing to avoid wrinkles.
- Don’t pop blisters otherwise you can get infections.
- Avoid sun between 10am to 3pm when the ultraviolet is the strongest.
- Wear a hat, sunglasses, protective clothes, a good natural sunscreen. Read this article to find out which sunscreens EWR researchers recommend: Find the Best Sunscreen for You. Keep in mind that natural sunscreens
have to be reapplied even more frequently.
- Snow, water and sand reflect the sun even on a cloudy day.
- Mix vinegar (1 teaspoon) and sunflower oil (one half cup) and apply it on your skin to avoid sunburn.
Sunlight is important for healing most skin conditions
and for maintaining a positive mental health. However, too much sun
exposure can cause sunburns and even skin cancer. Sun can badly harm
your skin and your entire system.
So always remember that prevention is better than cure!
Sunburn remedies: Useful links
Sunburn remedies: References
- Andrew Gaeddert, healing Skin Disorders, North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, California, 2003
- Louise Tenney, M.H., Today’s Herbal health, 6th edition, USA, 2007
- Phyllis A. Balch, James F. Balch, Prescription for nutritional healing, United States of America, 2000
- Siegfried Gursche, Encyclopedia of natural healing, Canada, 1997
Bartram, Bartram’s encyclopedia of herbal medicine, The definitive
guide to the herbal treatment of diseases, Grace Publishers, UK, 1995