- Always educate yourself about properties and contraindications of essential oils you are going to use.
- Be sure you are not allergic to any ingredient before applying it on your body. First apply a dab on your wrist for example, and wait 24 hours to see if any irritation occurs.
- Make sure you buy the pure base ingredients and choose ingredients that have the most beneficial nutrients.
- Always dilute an essential oil in a base oil unless you are sure it is safe to use it neat.
- If you can afford, spend a little more on high quality and organic oils. This will insure no unnecessary chemicals are applied to your skin.
Are you looking for an anti-inflammatory cream that works for psoriasis or eczema? You may want to give a try to this recipe!
Researchers reported that a natural combination of honey, olive oil, and beeswax can provide significant benefit to people suffering from eczema or psoriasis (see the link to the study in the source box at the end of this page). This is why I based my recipe on these 3 ingredients.
Also, research suggests that a honey mixture combined with neem oil may decrease the need for corticosteroids... Here we go! Let's add a few drops of neem oil to the mix!
This cream is not a cure. But it definitely helps soothe the symptoms of psoriasis or eczema. It works well for me (I have psoriasis) and has worked well for others too.
Ready to make this anti-inflammatory cream recipe?
Here are the ingredients your need:
- Beeswax (1 tablespoon)
- Olive oil (3 tablespoons)
- Coconut oil (2 tablespoons)
- Honey (1/4 teaspoon)
- Neem Oil (1/4 teaspoon)
- Geranium essential oil (6 drops) - you may also use rosemary, lavender or tea tree.
A note about neem oil for psoriasis:
Neem oil is a very complex natural oil that contains over 140 active ingredients. It can be very beneficial for psoriasis so I recommend that you put a few drops of this essential oil in the recipe.
It softens and moistens dry cracked skin, helps soothe the redness and irritation directly, through the steroid like effect of some of its ingredients.
Neem oil generally enhances skin health and the natural immunity of your skin, which is one of the biggest factors in psoriasis.
Also, Neem oil is strongly antibacterial, and when used regularly it can help prevent skin infections that may aggravate or bring back psoriasis symptoms.
How to make this anti-inflammatory cream for psoriasis and eczema?
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm beeswax and coconut oil. Stir well until beeswax has melted.
- Add olive oil and honey. Stir well.
- Remove from heat and allow the mix to cool. Keep on stirring until the mixture begins to thicken. It should be soft.
- Add the essential oils and mix.
- Put the lotion in storage container. Allow the lotion to cool for about 30 minutes before putting the lid on.
- You don't need to keep it in the fridge unless you want to keep it for more than 1 month.
Here's the result you should get:
Now it's your turn to give it a try! Don't hesitate to send me your suggestions!