A delicious savoury cake, which is also gluten and dairy-free! This red lentil cake recipe is easy for anybody to make. Lentils, curry, carrots, onions, nutritional yeast… Only good ingredients! Lentils are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Not only do lentils help lower cholesterol, they are of special benefit in managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal. But this is far from all lentils have to offer. Lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of seven important minerals, our B-vitamins, and protein—all with virtually no fat.
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 45 min
Ingredients you need for this red lentil cake recipe
- 350 g red lentils
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 g nutritional yeast
- 40 g brown rice farina hot cereals (not cooked) or 70 g gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon tapioca or corn starch
- 30 g hazelnuts
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry
- Cook the lentils in water for 10 minutes (add salt to water only after 5 minutes).
- Drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 340°F (170°C).
- In a frying pan, stir fry the onion in olive oil until translucent, then add the carrots and garlic.
- Add salt and pepper and stir fry for another 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the nutritional yeast, rice farina and tapioca.
- Add the well-drained lentils, vegetables and spices.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with coarsely chopped hazelnuts and bake for 45 minutes.
- Enjoy warm or cold with salad.