- Always educate yourself about properties and contraindications of essential oils you are going to use.
- Be sure you are not allergic to any ingredient before applying it on your body. First apply a dab on your wrist for example, and wait 24 hours to see if any irritation occurs.
- Make sure you buy the pure base ingredients and choose ingredients that have the most beneficial nutrients.
- Always dilute an essential oil in a base oil unless you are sure it is safe to use it neat.
- If you can afford, spend a little more on high quality and organic oils. This will insure no unnecessary chemicals are applied to your skin.
I’m going to share with you a great recipe to soothe sunburned skin. This recipe contains cheap home and natural remedies and it’s very easy to make. You will only need 3 ingredients: yogurt, aloe vera and lavender essential oil. Why use these natural remedies? Yogurt is very cooling and it seems to absorb the heat from burned skin. Aloe vera is also a great addition to help soothe sunburned skin. This sunburn remedy with yogurt, aloe vera and lavender essential oil helps reestablish pH balance and promote faster healing!
- Preparation: 5 min
- Cooking: n/a
Aloe vera for sunburns
Pure aloe vera gel or juice from the plant soothes inflamed skin and is a good home remedy for sunburns. Applying cool pure aloe vera gel helps relieve discomfort and inflammation.
Choose an Aloe Vera Gel that doesn’t contain topical anesthetic ingredient, such as benzocaine or lidocaine. These ingredients can cause an allergic skin rash.
Yogurt for sunburns
Plain yogurt contains probiotics and enzymes that help heal our skin. It also contains calcium, protein & zinc, which can help rejuvenate the skin. In addition, the lactic acid found in yogurt can help dissolve the dead skin cells.
Not to mention that yogurt is very cooling!
Lavender essential oil for sunburns
Several drops of lavender essential oil will help ease the pain of a sunburn and heal faster.
Before using essential oils, please check this page and make sure the oil is appropriate to use in your situation.
The list of ingredients for this sunburn recipe
- 3 tablespoons of whole-milk plain yogurt (organic is best)
- 3 teaspoons of Aloe Vera Gel
- Optional: 3 drops of Lavender essential oil
How to make this aloe vera sunburn recipe? It’s easy!
- Mix yogurt, aloe vera gel and lavender essential oil until smooth
- Apply to sunburned areas
- Leave on for about 20-30 minutes
- Rinse with cool water
- Repeat daily
Alternatively, you could wrap the mixture in several layers of cheesecloth and compress the burn. Read this page and follow the instructions if you prefer this method.
Have you ever had a bad sunburn? What remedies worked for you? Share below!