Dandruff is a very common skin conditions. Dry scalp and itchy white flakes can be quite embarrassing especially when wearing a black shirt… If you want to get rid of dandruff for good, an anti-dandruff shampoo is usually not enough. Here are natural solutions to help you deal with your scalp problem.
What are the main causes of dandruff?
- Poor circulation or not enough brushing of the hair
- Use of drying shampoos
- Irregular production of sebum (oily substance secreted by the glands)
- Imbalance of essential fatty acids in the body
- Fungal infection
- Dandruff is also sometimes a sign of psoriasis, seborrhea, or cradle cap, a very common problem in babies
What kind of foods is dandruff healing?
- Eat a diet rich in vitamins B6.
- Avoid the most common allergens which provoke dandruff for some people: chocolate, nuts and shellfish. Try to avoid these foods for 2 weeks and reincorporate them in your diet to see which food would eventually be the culprit.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates, especially white sugar or flower because they can deplete your body of B vitamins.
- Avoid animal and trans fats. Eat foods containing omega instead.
In case of fungal infection, you should follow an anti-candida diet. However, ask your practitioner first and do some test to know if you suffer from a yeast infection.
Which supplements can help to get rid of dandruff?
- Essential fatty acids
- Vitamin B complex (especially vitamin B6)
- Vitamin A and E
What about herbal remedies?
- Horsetail tea because it contains silica and zinc
- Nettle root juice applied externally on scalp
What are the most common essential oils used for dandruff?
- Rosemary essential oil is one of the best oil for dry scalp. It is very stimulating and has astringent and antiseptic properties. You could add a few drops to your shampoo or massage your scalp with jojoba oil with a few drops of rosemary before washing your hair.
- Tea tree, lavender, and neem are also good essential oils to get rid of dandruff.
Are there any homeopathic remedies?
Because homeopathy is specific for every person, you should ask a homeopath for the most appropriate treatment.
- Don’t scratch your scalp
- Use natural shampoos and avoid harsh shampoos especially if you wash your hair daily
- Hair-dryers can dry out your scalp. However, bacteria love humid environment so dry your hair if the cause of dandruff is fungal.
- Andrew Gaeddert, healing Skin Disorders, North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, California, 2003
- Louise Tenney, M.H., Today’s Herbal health, 6th edition, USA, 2007
- Phyllis A. Balch, James F. Balch, Prescription for nutritional healing, United States of America, 2000
- Siegfried Gursche, Encyclopedia of natural healing, Canada, 1997
- Thomas Bartram, Bartram’s encyclopedia of herbal medicine, The definitive guide to the herbal treatment of diseases, Grace Publishers, UK, 1995