Freckles are irregular pigment changes in the skin. They produce brown spots on the skin and are exacerbated by exposure to the sun. What can you do to help stop the development of freckles? Learn about nutrition, sun protection, and the herbs that help lighten freckles.
What are the causes of freckles?
- Overproduction of pigment by the melanocytes
- Ultraviolet rays from the sun
Note: Fair-skinned, red-haired people are more prone to freckles.
Does nutrition have an impact on freckles?
Diet doesn’t have a big influence on freckles. However, protecting the skin from the sun help stop the development of freckles. A diet rich in essential fatty acids and vitamin A, B, and C can be beneficial.
To learn about the link between nutrition and sun protection, read the interview: is nutrition important in sun protection?
Are there any herbs that help lighten freckles?
- Horseradish juice is said to be helpful in lightening freckles.
- Oatmeal can be dabbed on the skin several times a day.
- A mix of unripe currants, honey and fresh lemon juice. The acidity in the lemon juice has been shown to lighten freckles. You may try this recipe.
- Papaya juice, cucumber, onion, parsley, sour milk can help fade freckles as well. (source)
How to take care of your skin when you have freckles?
- Be careful with suntanning. People with freckles are more susceptible to sunburns.
- Be sure to keep your skin well-moisturized.
- Consider using a kojic acid soap for skin lightening.
Please consult a qualified dermatology specialist if you want to get rid of your freckles.