For this salad, I chose top anti-inflammatory fruits, like berries, pineapple, papaya, and apples. Buy them organic if possible to avoid pesticide residue (especially for apples and berries).
- Berries are high in phytonutrients that confer anti-inflammatory protection against many chronic diseases.
- Pineapple is rich in the protein-digesting enzyme bromelain, making it a natural anti-inflammatory agent that is quite helpful in reducing inflammation.
- Papaya is rich in many vitamins and minerals. Its main pain-reducing ingredient is the proteolytic enzyme, papain.
- Apples have been shown to reduce inflammation through their polyphenol content.
- Clinical observations and experimental studies have established that honey has effective antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: n/a
Ingredients to make this anti-inflammatory fruit salad
- 1 small papaya (peeled and cut into small pieces)
- 1/2 large fresh pineapple (peeled, cored and cut into small pieces)
- 3 cups fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, strawberries, or a mix!)
- 1 apple
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 orange (juice)
- A few sliced almonds
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of honey.
- In a small bowl, mix the zest, juice and honey.
- In a larger bowl add papaya, pineapple, berries and apple.
- Pour the juice mixture over top and stir to combine.
- Add a few sliced almonds on top before serving.