- Always educate yourself about properties and contraindications of essential oils you are going to use.
- Be sure you are not allergic to any ingredient before applying it on your body. First apply a dab on your wrist for example, and wait 24 hours to see if any irritation occurs.
- Make sure you buy the pure base ingredients and choose ingredients that have the most beneficial nutrients.
- Always dilute an essential oil in a base oil unless you are sure it is safe to use it neat.
- If you can afford, spend a little more on high quality and organic oils. This will insure no unnecessary chemicals are applied to your skin.
This lip balm is very easy to make and you just need 4 ingredients that you probably have already at home. You can also use olive oil instead of wheat germ oil, it works perfectly as well!
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 1 min
The ingredients you need…
- 2 tspn wheat germ oil
- 1 tspn beeswax
- 2 tspn honey
- 1 drop of essential oil of your choice : rose, neroli, mandarin…
About the ingredients used in the soothing lip balm recipe:
Wheat-germ oil is readily absorbed by your skin, which makes it an effective moisturizer and an appropriate topical treatment. This oil contains vitamin A, vitamin D, B vitamins, antioxidants and fatty acids.In particular, wheat-germ oil is a rich source of vitamin E, which helps reduce skin damage. All these nutrients in wheat germ oil moisturize and heal dry or cracked skin.
In its natural state, beeswax is firm but pliable. Melted and combined with other ingredients, beeswax adds body to skin care products, making creams thicker. Like other beehive products, including honey and royal jelly, beeswax offers anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral benefits.
How to make this soothing lip balm recipe?
- You can add flavoring and coloring if desired : a little bit of lip stick, cocoa powder or concentrated beet juice.
- Melt the ingredients together in bain-marie (except the drop of essential oil).
- Stir constantly.
- When the mix is liquid, remove from water and quickly add the drop of essential oil (no more than one drop !) and stir again.
- Quickly pour into small sealed containers and let set.
Be fast when adding the drop of essential oil and pouring into containers otherwise the mix will become too hard and you won’t be able to pour it into containers.